Why This Class
No one knows your student like you do—including how they best learn math. If you’ve found a third-party math curriculum that works for your student and they want to continue using it, an Independent Studies Math course lets them do so while still earning high school credit.
Students in Independent Studies Math courses use a math curriculum of their choice to learn the right concepts for their skill and/or grade level. Here are a few more things to know about this course:
- Students in this course receive traditional letter grades
- Students complete two competency exams—a midterm and a final
- Students receive a list of foundational topics to study for the exams
- The midterm and final exams are delivered on the CK-12 math learning platform
- Final grades are determined by the student’s scores on the exams
- A 70% equates to a C-, and is the lowest score a student can earn and still receive credit for the course
By completing this course, students not only improve their math skills but also gain confidence in their ability to learn new things on their terms. They feel better prepared to face any future learning challenge—including taking on the next level of math.