LAU HS Independent Studies Math
This course is designed for and offered to Leadership Academy of Utah students who need a customized math plan.
Why This Class
No one knows your student like you do—including how they best learn math. If you’ve found a third-party math curriculum that works for your student and they want to continue using it, check with us to see if it’s on LAU’s approved curriculum list for this course. Your student may be able to use their preferred curriculum while still earning high school credit.
Students in the LAU HS Independent Studies Math course use an approved math curriculum of their choice to learn the right concepts for their skill and/or grade level. Here are a few more things to know about this course:
- Students must contact our LAU Independent Study Specialist, Cynthia Hampton, to select an approved curriculum for this course
- Students in this course receive traditional letter grades
- Grades are based on participation, homework, and test scores
- Students must submit a monthly report showing at least 15 hours of math practice and progress
- Students must have an adult mentor submit progress notes and sign each 15-hour report (can be a parent)
- Students complete monthly competency exams from their chosen curriculum provider and submit proof of completed, graded tests each month
- There is no midterm or final exam for this course
- A 70% equates to a C-, and is the lowest grade a student can earn and still receive credit for the course
By completing this course, students not only improve their math skills but also gain confidence in their ability to learn new things on their terms. They feel better prepared to face any future learning challenge—including taking on the next level of math.
How can I see math in the world around me?
How can I think critically to solve an array of problems?
How can I use math as a tool to be a problem-solver?
Choose from LAU approved curriculum
Recommended Grade: 9–12
Estimated Weekly Hours: 4-5